HOW TO APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
To review our printable checklist, click here.
In order receive financial aid at Harris-Stowe State University, students must:
1. Be admitted to the University as a degree-seeking or initial certification student.
2. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at FAFSA.ed.gov that includes our school code (002466) for the academic year in which financial aid is sought.
3. If you are a new student please Contact the Office of Financial Assistance five to seven business days after receiving a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the student-aid processing center by calling us at (314) 340-3500 or by email at FinancialAssistance@hssu.edu to see if your application has been received.
If you are a returning/continuing student please check your Hornet email five to seven business days after submitting your renewed/updated FAFSA to review your Financial Aid status update notification email.
4. Complete any required documents listed in your notification email. Documents for the upcoming academic years are updated by the start date of registration for the fall semester and are available right here at this website under "Forms".
5. Once your documents have been submitted please allow the Financial Assistance office three to five business days to process your documents and generate your Financial Aid package. You will receive a final financial aid status update via email informing you that your award letter is ready for review at your MY HSSU Student Portal.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
This web site is your source for filling out your FAFSA for federal student aid.
All students are required to complete the FAFSA, which is a free Department of Education tool that collects pertinent information in order to calculate your expected family contribution (EFC). All colleges and universities use your EFC to determine your eligibility for aid. Priority consideration is given to students who file prior to April 1st. In order for Harris-Stowe State University to receive an electronic copy of your application, you must include our school code on your application. Harris-Stowe State University's school code is 002466.
An FSA ID is comprised of a username and password and can be used to login to certain Federal Student Aid websites, such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®).
The security of your FSA ID is important. Your FSA ID can be used to:
If you are a parent and need to electronically sign your child’s FAFSA, you need your own FSA ID. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign their applications.
If your FSA ID is lost or stolen, you must:
Loan Recipients: Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Loan Counseling
Before any loan lender will release your loans to HSSU, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Loan Counseling online at StudentLoans.gov. This web site is for completing a Direct Loan Program electronic MPN for student subsidized and unsubsidized loans or for parent PLUS loans that your parents have taken out to help pay for your education. Please note that the parent must complete their own MPN if they have taken out a parent PLUS loan.
You and your parent will be required to use your FSA ID to complete an electronic MPN. This is the same FSA ID used to electronically sign your FAFSA. For additional information or to ask general FSA ID questions, you can visit the official site.