Give to HSSU
Apply to HSSU
Admissions Home Page
HSSU Home Page
The Office of Admissions: PARENT FAQs

Why should my son/daughter attend HSSU?
As a college student, it is important to experience a feeling of accomplishment and well-being. Harris-Stowe State University provides an environment in which our students excel and gain fruitful experiences. By providing a wide variety of degree programs, as well as numerous social, academic and athletic activities, Harris-Stowe fulfills its mission of offering an attractive and engaging learning experience for our students. Like all exceptional institutions, Harris-Stowe State University requires a great deal of commitment from our students. Our degree programs are designed to prepare students to be competitive on a global scale, enabling them to make positive and significant contributions in their future careers. If your son/daughter is a first-time freshmen, transfer, or international student, we encourage them to explore the various educational and extracurricular opportunities available at Harris-Stowe State University. 

What is the tuition cost at HSSU? (Based on 2014-2015 school year)
• In-state tuition: $199 per credit hour
• Out-of-state tuition: $392.03 per credit hour
• Full-time tuition: (12-16 credit hours): $2388 per semester
• Full-time out-of-state tuition: (12-16 credit hours): $4704.36 per semester
• Student fees: $222 per semester

What is the cost to live on campus? (Based on 2014-2015 school year)
• Gillespie Residence Hall (GRH) (all single-beds): $3700 per semester
• Bosley Residence Hall (freshmen hall/single-beds): $3700 per semester
• Bosley Residence Hall (freshmen hall/double-beds): $3250 per semester
• Board: $1375 per semester (with 18 meals per week)
• Insurance: $120.40 per semester
• Single-bed semester total: $5195.40
• Double-bed semester total: $4745.40

My son/daughter wants to live on campus. Which dorm do they live in?
• Bosley Residence Hall is designed for our incoming freshmen; whereas, Gillespie Residence Hall is designed for our upperclassmen. For specific criteria and eligibility information, please contact the Director of Residential Life Shawn Baker at (314) 340-5300.  
Are there any scholarships my son/daughter can receive?
The Office of Admissions offers three different scholarships for all incoming students. Each of the following scholarships are renewable each subsequent semester as long the student maintains the minimum grade point average. The requirements for such scholarships are as follows:

Incentive for Excellence (up to 15 in-state credit hours):
For consideration, the applicant must meet the requirements set forth in any one of the following three options:
• Option 1: Have an overall cumulative GPA of a 3.50 or above and have an ACT of at least 22, or a SAT of at least 1030.
• Option 2: Have an overall cumulative GPA between 3.00 and 3.49 and have an ACT of at least 24, or a SAT of at least 1110.
• Option 3: Have an overall cumulative GPA between 2.50 and 2.99 and have an ACT of at least 27, or a SAT of at least 1210.

Academic Performance (up to 8 in-state credit hours):
For consideration, the applicant must have an overall cumulative GPA of at least a 2.50 and an ACT of at least 21, or SAT of at least 990.

Leadership Award (varies between 3-6 credit hours): 
For consideration, the applicant must be involved with their community and or school in a volunteer aspect, have two recommendations and complete an application. 
• Should you have any questions regarding the eligibility of your son/daughter to receive a scholarship, please contact the Office of Admissions at (314) 340-3300.
• Continuing students may be eligible for internal and donor provided scholarships and awards. These scholarships and awards are available annually. In order for a continuing student to be considered, they must submit a scholarship application and essay. For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance at (314) 340-3500.

How large are class sizes?
Classroom sizes at HSSU never exceed more than 30 students. As a result, students are able to receive individualized attention which allows them to become more engaged in the classroom experience.  As students get further into their degree related courses, at times, classroom sizes may even be smaller. Smaller classroom sizes equal more engagement among instructors and students. 

How safe is the HSSU campus?
The mission of the Public Safety Department is to provide a safe and secure environment in which our students, faculty and staff can study and work. We try to accomplish this through training and open communication with the campus community. Our number one concern is to make sure we meet the needs of our campus community through dedicated service. Public Safety is on call 24/7 at (314) 340-5301 should your son/daughter need immediate assistance. Additionally, emergency call boxes are available on campus should your son/daughter not have immediate access to a phone in the event of an emergency.    

What if a student is undecided on a major? Will this create a problem?
Absolutely not!  If your son/daughter is undecided on their major, that’s okay. We encourage students to explore their options once admitted to the university. By the second semester of entry your student will meet with an Academic Advising to discuss our degree programs and their respective career goals.

How can my student get answers to questions about his/her class schedule and how to interpret it?
Should your son/daughter have questions and or concerns regarding his/her schedule, he/she should visit the Office of Academic Advising located in Room 008 in the Dr. Henry Givens Jr. Administration Building or call (314) 340-3307.  

How can my student add or drop a course or change his/her major?
If you son/daughter needs to add/drop a course or change his/her major, then he/she will need to visit the Office of Academic Advising.  It is important to be aware that courses may not be added or changed one week after the start of the semester. If your son/daughter needs to change his/her major, again, they will want to visit the Office of Academic Advising located in Room 008 in the Dr. Henry Given’s Jr. Administration Building. 

Where can my son/daughter get a course schedule booklet?
Prior to the start of every semester, your son/daughter will have access to the course schedule booklet that contains important information and university calendar via our website at It is pertinent that he/she refer to the course schedule booklet so that they are aware of what is being offered in the upcoming semester.  

What is if my student isn’t feeling well?  Who does he/she call to say that she won’t be in class
If your son/daughter is not feeling well on the day that he/she has classes, the student is expected to contact his/her instructor via telephone or email. If your son/daughter is planning to be absent for a class period, it is important for them to let their instructors know. By effectively communicating with their instructors, they build a working cohesive relationship that will last beyond the classroom. Additionally, it is imperative that your son/daughter let their instructor know of any absences so that they can catch up on any missed work.  

My student is having a problem with one of his/her instructors. Would it be okay for me to call the instructor?
The college years are an excellent time for your student to acquire and/or enhance his/her skills in problem solving, conflict resolution and negotiation. Encourage your student to make an appointment with the instructor and discuss the issues. New students are often hesitant to seek the assistance of their instructors, but once or twice after doing so, they discover that instructors are approachable individuals who really want their students to succeed. If your student is unable to work out a conflict with the professor, advise him/her to contact the dean or chair of the department to discuss the situation. 

Image of the HSSU seal


Harris-Stowe State University | 3026 Laclede Ave. | St. Louis, MO 63103 | (314) 340-3366

Thank you for visiting In order to ensure compliance with the Acceptable Use and Security Policies of Harris-Stowe State University and those of MORE Net, our Internet Service Provider, internet traffic on this site is monitored. Copyright (©) Harris-Stowe State University. Questions about this and other Web sites owned by Harris-Stowe State University may be directed to Click here to submit feedback or report errors.