HOW TO APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
In order receive financial aid at Harris-Stowe State University, students must:
1. Be admitted to the University as a degree-seeking or initial certification student.
2. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at FAFSA.ed.gov that includes our school code (002466) for the academic year in which financial aid is sought.
3. If you are a new student please Contact the Office of Financial Assistance five to seven business days after receiving a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the student-aid processing center by calling us at (314) 340-3500 or by email at FinancialAssistance@hssu.edu to see if your application has been received.
If you are a returning/continuing student please check your Hornet email five to seven business days after submitting your renewed/updated FAFSA to review your Financial Aid status update notification email.
4. Complete any required documents listed in your notification email. Documents for the upcoming academic years are updated by the start date of registration for the fall semester and are available right here at this website under "Forms".
5. Once your documents have been submitted please allow the Financial Assistance office three to five business days to process your documents and generate your Financial Aid package. You will receive a final financial aid status update via email informing you that your award letter is ready for review at your MY HSSU Student Portal.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
This web site is your source for filling out your FAFSA for federal student aid.
All students are required to complete the FAFSA, which is a free Department of Education tool that collects pertinent information in order to calculate your expected family contribution (EFC). All colleges and universities use your EFC to determine your eligibility for aid. Priority consideration is given to students who file prior to April 1st. In order for Harris-Stowe State University to receive an electronic copy of your application, you must include our school code on your application. Harris-Stowe State University's school code is 002466.
Federal Student Aid Personal Identification Number (PIN)
This Web site is your source of information for the Federal Student Aid Personal Identification Number (PIN).
Your PIN is used each year to electronically apply for federal student aid and to access your Federal Student Aid records online. If you receive a PIN, you agree not to share it with anyone. Your PIN serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records, so you should never give your PIN to anyone, including commercial services that offer to help you complete your FAFSA. Be sure to keep your PIN in a safe place.
The FAFSA must be signed by the student and the parent of the student (if the student is deemed to be dependent defined by the FAFSA). You and your parent may obtain a PIN by visiting here. Please note that your PIN will be separate from your parent's PIN, and it should be kept in a secure location as you will need it to sign your FAFSA each year.
Loan Recipients: Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Loan Counseling
Before any loan lender will release your loans to HSSU, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Loan Counseling online at StudentLoans.gov. This web site is for completing a Direct Loan Program electronic MPN for student subsidized and unsubsidized loans or for parent PLUS loans that your parents have taken out to help pay for your education. Please note that the parent must complete their own MPN if they have taken out a parent PLUS loan.
You and your parent will be required to use your U.S. Department of Education issued PIN to complete an electronic MPN. This is the same PIN used to electronically sign your FAFSA. For additional information or to ask general PIN questions, you can visit the official PIN site or access the PIN customer service Web page.